Friday 20 September 2013

Flushing Cove, Cornwall

Last weekend found me in the picture-postcard setting of Flushing Cove in Helford, Cornwall for the wedding of my oldest friend, Yukie, and her now-husband, Ben. Not only was I to be making my bridesmaiding debut, but the house where we were all staying was literally a stone's throw from an idyllic cove/creek/sea combo.

I hope the video from Sunday morning gives you a taste of this rare treat (although without my usual Brockwell lido partners in crime the cinematic feel has turned out a little pensive, and my boyfriend just pointed out that it could be taken as someone going down to the sea to drown themselves (!) Rest assured this is NOT the case and I am happily sitting on my sofa typing away in rude health).

Special thanks to Fireworks Night for musical accompaniment.

The water was a refreshing 16-17 degrees, I'd wager, wonderfully clear and crisp, and lightly salted, providing buoyancy without tasting too terrible. Perfect conditions for my Best Swimming, with the occasional curlew or ungainly gannet for audience.



On the morning of the wedding, I spied activity aboard the groom's cute little family boat, Rocket, on the far side of the creek, which was being decked out in flags for the big event. I set off with a lusty stroke and was soon calling "Ahoy there" and introducing myself as a bridesmaid to Ben's uncle and cousin, who looked so surprised I may as well have been a talking otter. I since discovered (in the groom's speech) that they had hitherto been considering mooring up to this handy yellow buoy, only to discover it was the swim cap of a passing gurl. Poor chaps, I'll phone ahead next time.


2 comments:

  1. Would have been a tad underwhelming to miss the wedding whilst shackled to the grooms boat! Oh, and what a beautiful county for a wedding ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, becoming a mooring would have been a new and inconvenient experience at that precise moment!

    ReplyDelete