Tuesday 15 October 2013

Mad dogs and Englishmen

Brockwell lido has been feeling *distinctly* chillier the past few days - winter swimming is approaching! Though doesn't officially start until 4th November, so still a few weeks to go. The board says 14.5 degrees, some of us are sceptical, not least because that's what it was last week and Tooting Bec just down the road has been reporting 10 deg...

Anyway I'm sticking to my '1 length per degree' winter formula that got me through last year. For the first length it feels like millions of invisible teeth are nibbling at my forearms, but swimming back into the sun seems to melt them away. A few more lengths and I'm over the mild cold shock and getting into blissed-out endorphin territory. I'm swimming between regulars Marc and Peter, still glowing from our weekend adventure, and 'Red Leader' Guy. No sign of Sara or David - worrying... I get to 14 lengths, I'm having such a good time...I could probably manage one more but I'm not sure about two (has to be even numbers) so I quit while I'm ahead. In the showers who should I meet but my old friend, the Uncontrollable Shivers! It's been a while.

Out by the waterside for post-swim coffee, who should burst in upon the scene but David being pulled every which way by the magical murphy and ruthless rufus:

These boots were made for walking dogs

Does David know something Peter doesn't?

Apparently he's having a 'Victorian day' - something about fireplaces and chimney sweeps. Mind you don't catch the flue David.

And what time do you call this?
The later-spotted Sara
Fortunately Marc was there to raise the tone with a most convincing impression of a Greek bronze statue:

Poseidon adventurer
I'm going away tomorrow for FIVE WHOLE DAYS - how am I going to cope? Am I actually going to start taking cold showers..?!

No comments:

Post a Comment