Monday 21 April 2014

Birthday surprise

The very next day after we returned from adventures in Lapland, I was faced with yet more excitement - in the form of turning 30. Alas though, my birthday fell on a Tuesday and with beloved Brockwell Lido still on winter timetable, it would have to be the usual trip to Tooting Bec Lido down the road in the Tim taxi.

I beetle down the road wearing my best socks to meet Tim as usual in Brockwell carpark at 7.30. After a frankly perfunctory "Happy Birthday" he asks if I can do him a favour and check the girls' changing rooms here at Brockwell for his goggles, as he's been told they're in a changing room but they aren't on the boys' side. I'm doubtful but, deciding to humour Tim, I acquiesce.

You can see what's coming... in retrospect so can I.

For yea the girls' changing room is festooned and bedecked with every colour of balloon and streamer, framing the most beautiful gallery of beaming Icicle faces, all cheering and laughing at me. Never have I felt so loved and so betrayed at the same time.

You can read the 'insider' story brilliantly captured on Icicle David's blog here. Honestly the first line is like Shakespeare.

Heartfelt thank-you to Tara and the Fusion team for allowing (dare I say facilitating?) this whole subterfuge!

Of course Tim had made the most wonderful cake - coffee and cardamommmm - a feast for the eyes and the tum:
My steely look
And a completely excellent card (that suggests I could look good as a blond and with a tail):


Then my very own guard of honour:

And birthday swims (on a Tuesday, cor!) with balloon:


Unique combo of Austrian military tattoo and Forever Friends balloon
In excitement after swimming I got a bit carried away with the balloons...
Bust replacement service
At the lovely Lido Cafe, coffee and prosecco appeared as if by magic, and we set upon the cake with gusto.

What better way to start a new decade than in the cooling waters of Mother Brockwell, entirely surrounded by her finest Icicles?





No comments:

Post a Comment